If your property has been flooded, it’s important to know what to do to stay safe. This leaflet will give you the basic information you need to know.
- make sure the property is safe before you enter
- try to avoid direct contact with any flood water which remains, as it may be contaminated
- be prepared, have a torch at hand when entering the property and do not use candles
- switch off the electricity supply at the fuse box, if it is safe to do so
- arrange for other services, such as gas, to be turned off. The electricity and gas supplies should remain off until you are sure it is safe to turn them back on
- contact your insurance company and, if applicable, your landlord, to tell them what has happened and to get advice and take instruction.