Gas and electrical safety

Gas and Electrical Safety

Unsafe electrical wiring, appliances and equipment can put you at risk from electric shock or fire. Unsafe gas work could put you at risk from gas leaks, fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Follow these steps to protect yourself from the dangers and keep safe in your home.

Is your home gas safe?

  1. Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer to install, repair and service your gas appliances.
  2. Always ask for your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.
  3. Check that your engineer is qualified to carry out the work you need done.
  4. Get your appliances regularly serviced and gas safety checked every year.
  5. Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm marked with British Standard EN 50291.
  6. Remember the six main signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Are your electrics safe?

  1. Always use a registered electrician to carry out electrical work in your home.
  2. Find out how old your wiring is, and get it checked at least every 10 years and when you move into a new home.
  3. Always use an RCD (Residual Current Device) when using electrical equipment outdoors.
  4. Regularly check the condition of plugs, cables and extension leads.
  5. Always dry wet hands before touching electrical appliances and switches.
  6. Look out for the warning signs of burning smells, sounds of arcing (buzzing and crackling), fuses blowing or scorch marks on plugs and sockets.

Posted on

April 12, 2015